Monday, May 13, 2013

My Thoughts on Glossybox...a four month review

Oh Glossybox. You and I have a love hate relationship. I love you, I hate you, I hate that I love you...and sometimes I love to hate you.

Glossybox is a subscription that for $21 a month will send you 5 deluxe or full size items. Wrapped carefully in a gorgeous  reusable (to me at least!) box. It is a GREAT box, with fantastic items from great brands inside...if it every gets to your door. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I subscribed to glossybox after birchbox and ipsy... but during a GREAT month for Glossybox. January 2013, the Man Repeller Box. I saw all the ads, spoilers even, and had no idea what i was getting into!

January 2013- The Man Repeller Box

This box was AMAZING. Great start. Honestly January for Sub boxes (EXCEPT BIRCHBOX) Created a monster, because of how amazing they were! 
What I got: 
Opi Liquid Sand- ($9) full size nail polish?! It was gritty and grainy and NOTHING I would have every bought..and I love it. So much! I wear it often! Its great for leaving on long term because you can do a quick touch up and just paint over any issues because of the formula no one will ever know! 
Le Meiter Beaute- This $20 FOIL packet of cream that is more than $200 full size. Is sitting unused STILL. Why? Because shit for $20 I am going to use that when my face is on fire, or melting off, or something else goes wrong. What If i LOVE IT?! What if its WORTH that price tag? I'd have to buy it! I will use it soon I swear I Will (Mostly because I now have two more, and more expensive face cream...please be patient I will explain below!) 
Estee lauder Mascara ($7-$10) - This was cool, but honestly I have no idea where it went. I think i used it, and liked it. but it must have ended up in the bottom of a purse. SO it was not SO amazing that I went looking for it (I have too much mascara its a problem) 
Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Serum ($5)- What does this do? No idea still..... ugh I need to use some of the smaller samples I have received! 
Narsisco Rodriques  Perfume ($1? Sample sized) - Smells good, but would not purchase full size! 
Living Proof Prime Style Extender ($4)- My hair gets very greasy very fast, so i try not to use much product and then sometimes I think i miss the effects of it, but with this. I either used too much or.... it just does not work with my hair because it looked GREASY by the end of day 1. I have NOT gone back to retry this bad boy because of it. (The other option in this box was Sebastian potion 9 which I have since traded for and it is AH-MA-ZING!) 
Vincent Longo Lipstain ($23 FULL SIZE)- This was a lipstick. I am sorry to whoever branded it but its Lip Stick. Its wonderful though. This lipstick makes me believe that a sporty girl who never wore lip products can change (and CHANGE I HAVE!) because I had no interest in this...then i put it on. Man the difference in a $23 lipstick compared to a $5 Revlon is amazing. I had NO idea what I was missing. It was a bold red, and i am in LOVE! 

This $21 box, had two full size products, one that was worth more than the box inside! And a $20 packet of lotion?!?  The total value was around $70!) It was an amazing deal... only one problem was shipping. It was delayed but hey.. no big deal to this girl who had not (yet) become a part of the obsessed when is my box arriving, because i looked at spoilers and want it now crowd. (Oops?) 

February 2013-

Glossybox set themselves up for failure with that AWESOME man repeller box. And if it could have gone from an A++ to an F any quicker...they would have sent poop. Seriously I am just kidding, but in comparison it was a VERY different box. I was SO impressed with this box, and was trying to SHARE my new obsession and made the mistake of sending my baby sister a Feb Glossybox. Dude she was NOT impressed and I can't blame her! 
What was inside?

Snail Mask- Yeah we are calling it the snail mask. Thats what it was, and you know what? i used it, and I am NOT ashamed. It made my face feel good i suppose. It was not anything CRAZY awesome, but it was fun to do! 
Lisi lipgloss or eyeliner ($7)- these were FULL Size...and the cheapest nastiest lipgloss i ever used. like worse than the 50 cent drugstore kind you buy a 7 year old when  she wants in mommys make up. Ugh. I took this box to work with me, opened it as I drove (i was SO excited) and tried the lipgloss before i walked into my office. What. A . Mistake.
Da Vinci Shimmer Powder ($15)- This was a really pretty color and I never used it. I actually have gotten a few shimmer powders/eyeshadows that need to be used!!! But it was pretty and will look great once I use it! 
Evologie Blemish Serum and Stay Clear Cream ($3)- These are so cute! But they also have not yet been used, I actually am breaking out now! (from another product I used on my face) and will be trying this ASAP! 
Nail rock ($7 Full Size)- Yeah these would have been super cool! If they did not come in a design that looked like a child's Halloween stickers. I was sad because I wanted to try the whole nail wrap/sticker thing, but got ones that I could not wear to work (Esp since we had our yearly dress code conference call the week before about dressing professionally etc) They got traded to someone else
and I saved the BEST FOR LAST 
People HATED this product, like smelled it when the box arrived and threw it out IMMEDIATELY... knowing this makes me very sad. 
Bvlgari Soap ($7 THIS IS A SAMPLE The full size is $30!!!)- This soap is my favorite thing ever. I have since used one, and traded for FOUR more (they are damn expensive full size) At first I was not a fan of the scent, it did overtake the box which was underwhelming when I opened it. SOAP? Really? But I tried it, because we were out of soap AND body wash and I figured for $30 full size its gotta be amazing! and it IS! It is very moisturizing, I am picky about body wash and soap my skin is sensitive! It also leaves the fragrance lightly on your skin all day, in a not overpowering way but it REALLY lasts. I think that impresses me the most, the staying power of the scent on my skin. I honestly LOVE this stuff, I was so sad to use it up and SO excited to get more of it. Honestly I may pay full price for this soap in the future because i enjoy it that much! 



March 2013-

What was inside? 
Prestiche Soap ($17 Full Size)  This is a very unique smelling soap, and a $40 voucher to use to purchase something on the website! there are some discrepancies as to whether this is the full size listed on the packaging, or if it is only half that size. 
Model Co Lip and Cheek Tint- ($24  full size!)- This was VERY Exciting to me! After trying to benetint and becoming obsessed I was thrilled to get to try this too! (I was also on a mad hunt for Benetint and that stuff is EXPENSIVE So I was hoping this would be great too!) This has GREAT color, and scent and I do use it, however its a bit annoying and difficult to apply which makes it a pain to use. 
Elite Paris Matte Brown Eyeliner ($14 Full Size!)- I am not good with wet eyeliner like this, and every time I use it I look like someone whose hands cannot be still. However the color is gorgeous!  
Koh Gen Do Emolient Cream: ($20-$30 for the SAMPLE size) I don't know what it is with glossybox and EXPENSIVE lotion and face creams, but keep them coming! A full size one time? This stuff was great, and it was a decent size sample considering the cost! 
Sebastian Hair Spray ($2)- I do not use hair spray often, but when I do? I need a whole can for the hair do part, and a can to take with me to keep my thin hair up! So this WILL be used i just haven't had the need for it yet! 

March was a good month, and a terrible Month all rolled into one! So Glossybox ships at the end of the month, which is not relevant unless they also ship late and your box arrives during the NEXT month. It happens for a lot of people often with glossybox, so as a new customer I was like ok fine, i get it at the VERY end of the month. I was excited about the March and bought an extra box, and imagine my surprise when my box says delivered on the 23rd! (WOW SO EARLY) SO i check my mailbox and its not there, or at the office. So I wait for about a week, and Still NO box! By this time my normal box arrives, with normal shipping info etc. Then I email glossybox about NOT getting the gift! They are like oh its coming, our tracking was wrong


April 2013- 


I got my April box about five days after my march box (NOT KIDDING) and this is what was inside! 

The Honest Co Lip Balm- ($3)- this is lip balm, it works well, and is on my bedside table being used at night! I got the  plain scent, but an Orange one went out and I am SUPER jealous. It costs $10 for a three pack at the HonestCO website
Bvlgari Bath Tea Bag ($9) - I LOOOVED the  soap in Feb's box so I was SUPER Excited for this and am Hoarding it for a three day weekend or REALLY bad day. I am going to try and trade for more of these! 
TIGI Blush ($20) - I am not big on blush, but everyone else was so excited! I am gifting this to my mom for mothers day because she does wear blush (and i JUST got one, and do not need so many right now!) and when i swatched it it was super nice! 
Wash with Joe ($1.5) - I was excited for this too! I LOVE coffee, its an addiction so this seemed super cool! However after using it a few times, it has an odd consistency and I am just not sure. I actually washed with it and inhaled as much as possible to pretend i was drinking some coffee...then followed up with my previously mentioned favorite soap. :-) 
LeMeiter DeBeaut ($20) - this lotion AGAIN! I now have three overpriced packets, which honestly is pretty good, and am going to get ready to do a full scale test! 
Alterna BohoWaves ( $5) - My hair is getting REALLY long, which makes me excited about this. I also am working on styling my hair a bit more than normal (The usual is a bun for work, or a ponytail for the rest of the time, or messy bun) So i have tried this a few times, and it doesn't leave residue in my hair, and gives me some waves (it really just kinda works to like crunch my hair when its damp) 
  
All in all this was another great box! $21 for a box is a lot, but a fill size lip balm, blush, and bath tea bag wold have made this a perfect gift. (notes on  why this is a GREAT gift down below!) I love trying new things and being excited for them (and AM SO EXCITED FOR THE BATH TEA BAG...did you know they made those? I didn't but its a GREAT idea!) 




Final Review: 
Glossybox is great if you have $21 to spend every month and do not care when it arrives.. I don't so I got it for 20% off, and bought a year subscription bringing my cost down to about $14.66 per box. For that price this is TOTALLY worth it to me, plus if a great box comes along I can purchase extras for gifts (or for myself if i LOVE something worth more than $10 inside). However if i ONLY got glossybox and was waiting all month for it, i would probably get really mad about the shipping, OR if I bought it to send to someone else it may be a bit embarrassing. However This is a good introduction to more expensive makeup, maybe for someone just out of  college in a professional field trying to make sure they look good everyday (insert my photo here, lol) If you are not willing to trying crazy things (the snail mask? coffee body wash) maybe this sub is not for you. 


Gifting a Glossybox

Excuse my paint skills :-) 

 Also when you subscribe you can currently gift a one time box for $15, AND if you use ebates you get $2.75 back, and use that WITH a coupon for 20% Off (which is the highest I have seen a coupon) you can gift one of these bad boys to a friend or family member for $15-$3(20% coupon) -$2.75 (ebates) a grand total of $9.25 which has been my go to gift lately!

 My suggestion if the spoilers make the box look great? Think it would be a good gift LATER ON? Order them a gift them to yourself, once they arrive you can store them until you need a gift! 

Ebates is a GREAT site if you are not already a member and do a lot of online shopping they pay you to shop through their website! 




*Post does contain referral links, in which i may receive referral credit. I am not affiliated with the company in any way*















No comments:

Post a Comment